leave someone out in the cold
Jump to navigation Jump to search
leave someone out in the cold (kini selapis mufrad diri ketiga leaves someone out in the cold, partisipel kini leaving someone out in the cold, lampau selapis dan partisipel lampau left someone out in the cold)
- (idiomatik) sengaja gagal memberi seseorang with sokongan; mengendahkan atau mengabaikan; menyisihkan.
- 1902, Laurence Housman, “[Appendix: What is a Fairy Tale?] ‘Introduction’ to Gammer Grethel’s Fairy Tales”, dalam Michael Newton editor, Victorian Fairy Tales, Oxford World’s Classics, Oxford, Oxfordshire: Oxford University Press, ISBN 978-0-19-960195-0, published 2015, halaman 401:
- I say again, if I cannot draw a horse, I will not write Templat:smallcaps under what I foolishly meant for one. Any key to a work of imagination would be nearly, if not quite, as absurd. The tale is there, not to hide, but to show: if it show nothing at your window, do not open your door to it; leave it out in the cold.
- 1906, A[dolphus] W[illiam] Ward, “Wallenstein and Bernard of Weimar”, dalam A. W. Ward, G[eorge] W[alter] Prothero, and Stanley Leathes editor, The Cambridge Modern History, jilidIV (The Thirty Years’ War), Cambridge: At the University Press, OCLC 1021880478, section 1 (Wallenstein’s End (1632–4)), halaman 234:
- 1935 June, Hays Jones, Seamen and Longshoremen under the Red Flag, In a Soviet America, New York, N.Y.: Workers Library Publishers, OCLC 161914:
- 2000, Gio Batta Gori, “Cigarettes at the Third Millennium”, dalam Virtually Safe Cigarettes: Reviving an Opportunity Once Tragically Rejected, Amsterdam: IOS Press, ISBN 978-1-58603-057-5, halaman 16–17:
- Although the settlement used the arguments of antismokers as a background, antismokers themselves were marginalized on account of their own long-standing prohibitionist policies. [...] Short of leaving themselves out in the cold and irrelevant, antismokers had no choice but to join as the lesser partners at the settlement table.